To overestimate the value of textile interior decoration is difficult. Curtains and curtains not only protect the room from sunlight and prying eyes, but also bring much-needed notes of coziness and comfort into the design of the room. Drapery for windows - the final, but such an important touch in the formation of the image of the room. Many modern designers offer us to abandon the design of window openings with textiles altogether, bringing modern style closer to minimalism, allowing the room to appear larger and lighter. But not always the refusal of draping on horses is possible. Not to mention the importance of creating a truly relaxing, cozy atmosphere, which is difficult to imagine without textile decoration of window openings. We bring to your attention 100 ideas for the design of modern premises of the most diverse functional load with the help of curtains, curtains and various drapery elements. We hope that among the design ideas you can find the best option for decorating the windows in your home.
Actual ideas for modern interior
The modern design style of living spaces is a mix of concepts of various stylistic directions, similar in character. Practicality and conciseness, personal comfort and preferable naturalness, functionality and even a certain rigor of aesthetics are the main motives of modern stylistics. But it is obvious that every owner who plans the design of his own home, passes all design ideas through the prism of his perception of beauty and practicality, comfort and functionality, cost and the possibility of exploitation of certain interior items. It is not surprising that among the current trends in decorating living spaces, designers offer us many democratic, universal options that can satisfy the needs of homeowners with different capabilities and needs.
- The traditional combination of translucent smooth tulle and thick plain curtains is a trend for all time. Such window decoration harmoniously fits into a room of any shape and size. Do not count the variants of stylistic directions in the design of rooms with different functionalities, in which simple, but elegant rectangular canvases, falling from the ceiling to the floor evenly distributed folds, can be easily integrated.
- Universality and conciseness at the peak of popularity. Multi-layered, compound curtain compositions lose their positions. They are replaced by the most simple forms, universal colors and fabrics, easy to maintain. Even when creating a classic interior designers recommend not to "get involved" with fringe and tassels, luxurious pickups and cascading models of paintings.
- Naturalness in fashion in almost all areas of our lives. Interior design is no exception. As materials for decoration, furniture and other interior elements, natural materials are put at the forefront. Textile design of modern design projects needs the presence of natural raw materials no less. Luxurious appearance, high level of environmental friendliness and safety for humans and the environment compensate for the relatively high cost and complexity in the care of canvases made of natural fabric.
- The combination of different models of curtains in one room is also gaining popularity in our country. The need to use curtains of various modifications is primarily due to the difference in the shape and size of window openings. For example, if in your room there is a regular window and a balcony block, then the use of curtains, different in appearance, will be not only an effective way of protection from the sun and prying eyes, but also an original element of decoration. In this case, the curtains of different models may not match the material performance, color and texture solutions. It all depends on the chosen concept of design of a particular room.
- Another trend associated with the use of curtains of different models in the drapery of one window opening. Most often such cloths are traditional and roller blinds. They can be made of the same fabric or differ in material, color and texture of the decision. The main thing is that each type of canvas not only performs its function (complete or partial darkening of the room, protection from prying eyes), but also carries a decorative load, decorating the interior.
- A visual increase in the height of the room can not be called a trend. To give the room a larger volume, at least visually, is a necessity of the majority of apartments located in buildings of the last century. Having a curtain rod for the curtains (strings or any other type of fastening) right under the ceiling and making canvases for curtains and curtains occupying all the space from it to the floor, there is a chance to visually increase the height of the room. It is better to let your curtains literally lie on the floor, than there will be free space between the bottom edge of the canvas and the floor covering.
How to choose a practical and aesthetic drapery for the window
The choice of model, material, color and texture solutions for curtains (curtains) of a particular room is influenced by many factors. Of course, with the help of textiles, the easiest way is to refresh or drastically change the appearance of the room. Sewing new curtains, of course, will require time and financial costs, and yet the replacement of curtains is one of the simplest, but no less effective way to create a certain mood of the interior. Whether this is an accent solution or the draping of window openings harmoniously inscribed into the overall fabric of a room, it all depends on the preferences of the owners of the dwelling, the capacity of the room (size, number and size of window openings, the level of illumination) and the budget for interior decoration.
Criteria for effective selection of textiles for windows
In order for the choice of drapery for windows of a room to be not only aesthetic, practical, but also rational and durable, it is necessary to decide on a small set of influencing factors:
- the purpose of the room (obviously, the same fabric for curtains is not suitable for the kitchen and bedroom, for the nursery you need to find the best combination of practicality, naturalness and aesthetics, for the living room you can choose a more luxurious decor, and on the glazed veranda you can do it with lambrequin without curtains);
- room dimensions, number and parameters of window openings;
- the location of the room relative to the sides of the world and the level of necessary muffled sunshine;
- design style and interior colors;
- the desire to create an accent with the help of window decoration or to leave this role to other interior items;
- the style and characteristics of the life of the owners of the dwelling (for example, in the bedroom of people who are forced to work during the night shift, very thick curtains are needed to create an atmosphere of relaxation even on a sunny day);
- the budget for draping windows and the level of care for the material that you are ready to provide during operation.
Actual window drapery models
Traditional curtains are the most common design for windows in rooms with different functional backgrounds. Straight canvases, falling vertical folds from the ceiling to the floor, harmoniously fit into any stylistic design of the space. No less traditional combination of translucent tulle (veil) with thick curtains can be considered as a universal version of window drapery for all times.
But also with traditional forms there is a place for experiments, the use of original ideas, the use of unusual color or texture solutions, the method of fastening the canvases. For example, loose-leaf loops again at the peak of popularity. It is not difficult to make such canvases, using a simple and special approach to cleaning does not require a similar method of creating an attachment to the ledge (unlike eyelets, for example).
Another popular method of fastening traditional curtains to the eaves is using eyelets. These are metal or plastic rings that are integrated into the fabric. As a result, the canvas is strung on the eaves tube with evenly spaced pleats. The grommets provide a smooth movement of the cloths along the eaves, while maintaining the ideal vertical folds, which contribute to the visual “stretching” of the room in height.
A fashionable trend was the combination of fabrics of different color in the manufacture of traditional curtains. This can be either a combination of a single-colored fabric with a printed material vertically or horizontally, or the use of two (less often three) contrasting colors.
The use of compound lambrequins with many decorative elements is a thing of the past. If such a curtain composition as a pelmet is used in a modern interior, it looks laconic and even strict. Most often, these are dense rectangles of fabric that help hide the flaws in the trim, the fastening of window frames or the imperfection of the geometry of the room, and also complete the drape of the window. Lambrequin allows you to bring notes of some strict luxury, even in the most ordinary room design.
Along with traditional curtains, other models of window linens are used that can not only fulfill their basic functions, but also decorate the interior. In modern style, striving for the so-called "comfortable minimalism", Japanese curtains look more than appropriate. Vertical stripes of fabric (also called textile screens) have a concise and original look. Most often, these canvases are made of monochromatic natural fabric, but may also contain a low-key print, photo print or ornament located locally (for example, by edging the canvas or in one of the corners of the screen).
Rolled fabric canvases, Roman curtains - a popular version of drapery for windows of the most different modifications. Laconic design, ease of use and low material consumption attract designers and their customers around the world. Among our compatriots, the popularity of roller blinds is growing inexorably. Such models can be equipped as a manual folding mechanism (uniform horizontal folds are formed) or can be operated from the control panel.
What is the combination of color curtains
In addition to the choice of specific colors and prints for curtains, there is an unspoken rule that is recommended to use to create a harmonious image of the room. If you want to use curtains with a print (pattern, ornament, photo printing), then monochrome wall decoration will be an ideal background for them. If the vertical surfaces of the room are covered with wallpaper with a pattern, then the choice of fabric for window drapery is better to stop on plain versions. It is also not recommended to use a very colorful, large pattern on curtains designed for rooms of modest size.
Curtains are often used as an interior color accent. First, it is the simplest and most effective way to draw attention to window drapes and distract from unwanted areas or interior items. Secondly, the curtains can be changed without any problems, if the bright color gets tired or just want to change the character of the interior.
Another way to highlight curtains in the general background of the interior - the use of prints. Designers recommend using print accent when creating modern interiors, i.e. the pattern should be present only on the fabric of curtains or curtains. This approach will allow to diversify the color range of the room, to bring originality, but at the same time not to create a jumble of shades. It is especially important to adhere to this rule in small rooms.
If your curtains are not the color accent of the interior, then the most logical solution would be to choose a color solution to match the upholstery of the main furniture. In the living room - these are sofas and armchairs, in the bedroom - upholstery of the head of the bed or a group of upholstered furniture in the seating area, boudoir or armchair of the workplace, in the reading corner or dressing table. Most often these colors are bright, neutral shades, because the presence of this color solution extends to a large number of interior items and in many ways forms the image of the room.
Another way to create a harmonious and balanced environment of the room is to use a combination of window drapery fabric and textile decoration of a sleep or rest area. In the bedroom and children's room it can be bedding fabric - bedspread, throw pillows, rollers. In the living room and dining room, curtains can be combined according to the material of execution with the same decorative pillows or chair covers (mini-chairs)
And finally: curtains for zoning rooms
Not only window openings of our dwellings need textile decoration. If before textiles could be seen as a decorative design of doorways, then recently they are increasingly used for zoning rooms. Studio apartments and the very idea of combining several functional segments within a single, spacious room is incredibly popular nowadays. But in some cases, such functional areas need to be separated and separated from the rest of the space. For example, the san and leisure zone can be separated with the help of curtains from the common living room space, in the bedroom you can zone a wardrobe segment or workplace, boudoir, dressing table.