Most of the owners of cats, at least once, faced with the need to clean the sofa upholstery from the urine of their four-legged wards. On the solution of this problem tirelessly manufacturers of goods for animals and national craftsmen work. Some methods are quite effective, while others do not cope with the problem, but only exacerbate it. The purpose of our review is to identify effective ways to rid the sofa of the smell of cat urine.
The specific smell haunts households throughout the dwelling and does not give rest. And, most importantly, no one knows the reason why the clever kitten, who just yesterday went to the tray, began to urinate on upholstered furniture and carpets. The answer can be quite simple - the kitten has matured, and he has the instinct to attract a sexual partner and designate its own boundaries. When your plans do not include a permanent cleaning of the cat and the attachment of regularly appearing offspring, it is better to sterilize the fluffy friend at about 8 - 12 months of age, not waiting for the onset of sexual desire. This is what all experienced veterinary doctors say.
This procedure will not spoil the cat's disposition, on the contrary, sterilization makes the cats calm, and their life expectancy increases significantly, compared to other individuals. Females also benefit from this operation - it saves them from diseases of the hormonal system.
First of all, we hurry to warn you against following the advice from various sources in terms of using ammonia or chlorine bleach to cleanse the cat's marks. As a result of these actions, the treatment sites will become discolored, and the smell will become even brighter.
With timely detection of puddles increase the odds of the smell disappear, which is extremely important. After all, the remaining traces attract the animal to urinate in this place again and again.
Not bad, if you always have at hand professional tools that can be purchased at pet stores and veterinary pharmacies. Biologically active enzymes that are part of industrial products, not only get rid of the annoying smell, but destroy bacteria that multiply in a moist environment, feeding on urea and feces. On sale you can find liquids, powders, aerosols and sprays, designed specifically to remove stains from cat urine. For example: "Zovortsin", "Pet Stain & Odor", "NATURE'S MIRACLE" and many others.
But you shouldn’t stop at removing stains from upholstery - the cat can return to the chosen place again. And, then, you need to use a spray that frightens feline animals from certain areas due to the unbearable smell for them, which discourages urination, where necessary. There are enough drugs for this purpose: "Stop-zone", "Stop it Cat", "MR. FRESH", "Shit? No! 2 and others.
The specific smell of cat urine is due to the inability of uric acid crystals to dissolve in water. A dried puddle does not exude such stench until this place is moistened again.
Water-insoluble crystals are easily neutralized with glycerol or alkaline solution. Peroxide, household soap, potassium permanganate, soda, vinegar, citric acid and iodine solution (10 drops of liquid per half liter of water) are allowed.
Treatment with iodine or potassium permanganate upholstery of a light color is excluded, since they can leave indelible stains. Although iodine is perfectly removed by heating the spot with a hair dryer, it will immediately evaporate.
For fresh pools, soda solution, vodka, household or glycerin soap are suitable.
Cleaning upholstered furniture creates certain problems due to its design. Uric acid penetrates into the filler, which provides good conditions for the growth of mold and bacteria.
At home, for cleaning upholstery suitable rather complicated option, carried out in several stages. For this you need to prepare:
- A vacuum cleaner.
- Paper napkins or dry clean rags.
- Dishwashing liquid.
- Three per cent hydrogen peroxide.
- Spray bottle.
- 20 ml syringe ...
- Baking soda.
- A solution of vinegar (1: 4).
- First, the piece of furniture must be carefully vacuumed. Then abundantly treat with the vinegar all the stains, wetting the excess with a napkin or a piece of cloth. Wait until the puddles are completely dry and proceed to the next step.
- The furniture filler needs internal processing, so draw soda solution into the syringe and enter it, piercing the upholstery in several places, sprinkling the surface with soda.
- Dilute the hydrogen peroxide in half with water, add some dishwashing liquid, enter this mixture into the sofa or chair filler, leaving some amount of surface treatment with a spray bottle.
- Waiting for the end of the chemical reaction caused by the compound peroxide and soda, accompanied by the release of the smell of ammonium. After the uric acid is destroyed to a volatile compound of ammonia and carbon dioxide, all odors will disappear.
- It remains only to dry upholstery with a hair dryer and vacuum the furniture again. This sophisticated way ensures complete disposal of even the most inveterate feline tags.
Zoopsychologists have identified several reasons for this lack of manners, in addition to the onset of puberty. Upholstered furniture, carpets and carpets become attractive for quadrupeds in case of:
- If its tray is not clean enough. Impeccable sense of smell pushes the cat away from its homeland and makes it go in search of a more comfortable one.
- The location of the tray does not suit the animal.
- Cats are trying to draw attention to themselves because of the deterioration of health, it would not be superfluous to make a visit to the veterinarian.
- Such behavior may indicate offense, jealousy, or stress.
- Be that as it may, punishment is not the way out of their situation. You need to try to understand the origins of the problem and eliminate them so that your pet will return to normal life - this is important. And stains can always be washed.